My Writing

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Feed: (book introduction)

So, I've decided to open up my book reviews to ALL books I read, rather than just the sexy books. Because...well...because books are amazing. And people who read have sexy minds. Therefore...all books are sexy. At least that's the premise I'm sticking with (and if I wanted to be a snooty, readerly type...I could have said "that's the premise with which I'm sticking"...but I'm okay with being a bit of a grammar rebel...and I sort of like things that dangle, if ya know what I mean...)

Now, putting the geek humor aside, my latest read?


I've probably told you this before, but if I haven't, you should know: I'm a huge fan of zombies. I think the obsession started when I was like 10 and my dad was out of town, leaving mom and me to fill our time doing girly mom-and-daughter-type things. You know...braiding hair, painting nails, and watching double features on TNT...like Prom Night and Night of the Living Dead. The seed was planted that night, and it's grown and grown since then.

Recently, I was in a local bookstore. I had a gift certificate burning a hole in pocket, and I couldn't find anything I really wanted to buy. So, I hit the "staff suggestions," where I found Feed. I looked inside the cover and found, to my happiness, that it was the first in a series.


So, of course, after talking with the staff member who recommended them, and reading the first chapter of Feed...I bought them all.

I'm about half way through Feed right now, and I'm loving it.

Basically, the story takes place 20 years after a virus (created from "cures" for the common cold and cancer) spreads across the U.S. The world of journalistic news as we know it has been completely desecrated because people are terrified to go out in the world. The blogosphere has become THE place to get the most accurate and personal information on pretty much everything. Yay for the rise of the small-time blogger! Anyhow, a group of young bloggers apply for the opportunity to follow a republican presidential hopeful on his journey to the White House.

Like most good zombie stories, the zombies are sort of peripheral. They are simply the vehicle for the action...the reason things have to be "this way". What this novel is really about is politics and journalism in a world gripped by fear.

I'll have more to say when I'm done. But for now, I'm not sad I brought the book home, and I don't find it to be a disappointment in the genre of zombie fiction. Mira Grant, the author, did change up the "zombie rules" a bit, which normally pisses me off (I mean...zombies are a certain way, and when people try to change the rules and make, like - fast zombies - or - zombies with a conscience, I get a little upset). In Feed, the virus can pass to animals over 40 pounds...which means game, cattle, large dogs, and other wild animals can pass the virus. I'd hate this, really, except that it creates a political drama where people are either pro-animal or not. Kill 'em all or protect them? And since this novel is mainly about politics and government, it's an interesting addition.

As of today, I'd recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment